Why Should a Catholic Study Homer?
Join us on a journey of learning with Dr. Henry Russell’s course Homer’s Odyssey: The World Without Fathers. Dr. Henry Russell is headmaster of St. Augustine Homeschool Enrichment Program and author of The Catholic Shakespeare Audio Series.
These ancient texts and the worldview they represent are part of the pre-Christian era and so lack the revelation of Jesus Christ. However, because men of all times and places are made for God, all civilizations reveal the pursuit of truth and represent it in partial glimpses. Ancient Greek texts such as the Odyssey often transcend their time and even pave the way for the fullness of truth found in the Catholic faith.
This course explores those partial truths in the light of Christ, which allows us to deepen our understanding of the ancient world from which Western Civilization sprang. Not only are the core philosophies of this course Catholic, and the aim of its exploration aligned with the Faith and revelation, but Dr. Russell also begins every lecture in prayer. Through this ancient text, the course forms students in both mind and heart for a deeper love and appreciation of God’s promise of the Redeemer and his incarnation as man.
Dr. Russell trains students in the art of rigorous conversation with literary texts. The course covers Homer’s Odyssey in its entirety while analyzing key themes such as:
- What makes an epic and an epic’s characteristics
- Universal human questions as explored in the story of The Odyssey
- The necessity of fatherhood and the family
You don’t want to miss this deeply Catholic journey into classical literature.
- Introduction to the Epics
- Quest, Justice, and Conquest
- Agon, Kingship, and Kinship
- The King's House and the Making of a Hero
- The Polis and Fathered Society
- The Glory of Marriage
- Divine Kalypso & The Second Temptation
- Phaiakia, Songs and Games
- Bad Habits and Adventure
- Men Earn Their Doom
- Lessons of the Dead & More Gifts of Circe
- Homecoming and The Last Shall Be First
- The Son, Heroic Courtesy and Humiliations
- Selfish Beggar, Disgraceful Masters, & Intuitions
- The Test of the Bow and Slaying of Suitors
- Penelope's Test and Divine Justice
These 16 lectures are both deeply Catholic and highly intellectual, but eminently accessible to high school students. The Homeschooling Set includes the Streaming Video and Homeschooling Course Guide. Each Course Guide contains everything needed for a student to complete the course, including:
- Lesson Plan
- Final Essay
- Lecture Notes
- Answer Key
- Henry Russell, PhD
- Publication Date:
- Product Format:
- Streaming Video
- Ninth Grade
- Tenth Grade
- Eleventh Grade
- Twelfth Grade
- TAN Courses