Gnawing worms, unquenchable fire, utter darkness, weeping and gnashing of teeth. With these fearful words, Jesus warned that hell is real…and that we could end up there.
Since the Early Church, Catholic saints and other visionaries have reported horrific scenes of eternal punishment. Dozens of saints throughout history have described the terrors of Hell, and relayed the horror of being separated from God for eternity so that we may see for ourselves and repent.
In Saints Who Saw Hell, you’ll find …
- The scriptural witness to the reality of hell, including the warnings of Jesus, the prophets, and the Apostles
- Scenes from the second-century Apocalypse of Peter, the oldest surviving Christian vision of hell
- Ancient reports collected by Pope St. Gregory the Great
- Medieval accounts from St. Bede, the voyage of St. Brendan, St. Hildegard of Bingen, St. Catherine of Siena, and St. Frances of Rome
- Witnesses to hell from the time of the Catholic Reformation, such as St. Teresa of Avila, Blessed Maria de Agreda, and Blessed Richard of St. Anne
- Visions from later centuries, such as those of St. Veronica Giuliani, Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich, St. John Bosco, the children of Fatima, and St. Faustina Kowalska
- And other accounts from those who have witnessed the fate of the damned
The scenes in these pages, varying in detail and source, all testify to one harrowing truth: hell is the final guarantee that what we do really matters.
For us here on earth, a peak at the grisly tortures of hell is sometimes what we really need to redouble our efforts at achieving the glorious sweetness of heaven.
- Paul Thigpen, PhD
- TAN Books
- Publication Date:
- Product Format:
Everyone should read this book!
Satan;s greatest deception is convincing the world he does not exist. Hell is real and Hell is a place of horrors that man simply cannot fathom. The accounts of saints and others who saw hell are terrifying: A place of unimaginable punishment, despair and damnation. St. Teresa of Avila, who tried to describe what she saw in hell, said, "the Soul is tearing itself in pieces". I only read a chapter a day or a week because it is just that dreadful to me. It's not a thick book and you can skip around when reading the different accounts. Recommended. Highly!
Very enlightening, makes me wish
Very enlightening, makes me wish I could afford to purchase more for my family and friends
Another favorite from TAN. I must be one of TANs best customers. Very interesting. I recommend it.
Sobering and enlightening
A great treatment of the subject of Hell, based on solid Catholic teaching. The book begins with clear lessons from Sacred Scripture, both testaments, and continues with the witness of saints and holy men and women. An explanation of the difference between public and private revelation is included which helps the reader to discern authoritative teaching. Very well researched and well written. It will help you make a better confession!
I couldn;t put this book down. The author does a wonderful job presenting the witness of the Saints. Very easy to read and follow.
Not all doom and gloom
Although it directly points out the reality of the existence of Hell this book is not designed to scare people onto the straight and narrow. It is enlightening and thought provoking and aimed at directing ones thoughts on the goodness of God and developing the desire to never offend Him and thus avoid Hell by pursuing holiness ie; the love of and faithful service to God. Excellent chapter on Ven Mary of Agreda;s writings!