Quite to the contrary, Professor Wiker proves the truth is that the Church is and always has been the great friend, patron and protector of science. Certainly, the Church is not a flatterer, but she is a friend nonetheless. The so-called "war" waged against science is merely the Church's efforts to steer its flock away from scientific theories that, however attractive and popular they may be, ultimately undermine natural and supernatural truths, undermine morality, and undermine science itself.
The Church is the great patron of science because the Church rejoices in two kinds of truth: those revealing the wisdom of God the Creator and those revealing the love of God the Redeemer. It has no anxiety about raising a single voice in the double praise, because the Creator God and the Redeemer God is the same God. The Church sits as judge over the intersections where science approaches morality. Scientists are human, and sometimes the Church must step in to remind them of their limits, especially those limits that safeguard their own humanity - just as the Church safeguards Christian orthodoxy.
Join Professor Wiker for a fascinating exposition on a wide variety of scientific topics, including the Big Bang, Evolution, Darwinism, Aliens, and more. Discover how the Church protects the humanity of scientists, their moral dignity, and their real freedom to choose good or evil.
- The Church: Great Patron, Friend & Judge of Science
- The Church is the great patron and protector of science. For the Catholic Church, knowing more about nature means knowing more about God’s wisdom manifested in creation.
- Myth #1: The Church Has Always Been at War against Science
- This is undoubtedly the most persistent myth about the relationship of science to religion. Discover the myth's origins and why it continues to distort our understanding.
- Myth #2: The Middle Ages Were Scientifically “Dark”
- Science not only flourished during the Middle Ages, but modern science owes a large part of its advances to Catholic Churchmen.
- Myth #3: The Church Persecuted Copernicus and Galileo
- The Galileo Affair was far more complicated than popular accounts would have us believe. The Church had legitimate and appropriate reservations about Galileo's work.
- Myth #4: The Church Rejects Evolution
- What does the Catholic Church teach about evolution? Learn about scientists who held alternative “God-friendly” theories in opposition to Darwin’s theory of random and chance-driven evolution.
- Myth #5: The Big Bang Is the Alternative to a Creator God
- Instead of being a scientific alternative to a creator God, the Big Bang points to the existence of an intelligent designer who engineered the universe with amazing precision.
- Myth #6: Human Life Is the Result of Chemical Accident
- The building blocks of life are precisely engineered for life. This biocentrism overwhelmingly indicates the careful governance of God’s hand over the creation of life.
- Myth #7: The Vast Universe Necessitates Alien Life
- There is no proof for alien life, intelligent or otherwise, in the universe. Discover why ET speculation has serious consequences for Christian theology.
Meet Your Professor
Dr. Benjamin Wiker took his undergraduate degree in Political Philosophy from Furman University, and he holds a Doctorate of Philosophy in Theological Ethics from Vanderbilt University. He has taught full-time in academia for Marquette University in Wisconsin, St. Mary’s University in Minnesota, Thomas Aquinas College in California, and Franciscan University in Steubenville, Ohio. Professor Wiker is the author or co-author of nine books,
• 10 Books Every Conservative Must Read: Plus Four Not to Miss and One Imposter (Regnery Publishing, 2010)
• 10 Books That Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn’t Help (Regnery Publishing, 2008)
• The Darwin Myth: The Life and Lies of Charles Darwin (Regnery Publishing, 2009)
• Moral Darwinism: How We Became Hedonists (IVP Academic, 2002)
Professor Wiker’s articles have been published by Crisis Magazine, Human Events, National Catholic Register, InterVarsity Press, and First Things. He is a Senior Fellow with the Envoy Institute, with St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology, and with Discovery Institute.
The Homeschooling Set includes the Streaming Video and Homeschooling Course Guide. Each Course Guide contains everything needed for a student to complete the course, including:
- Lesson Plan
- Final Essay
- Lecture Notes
- Answer Key
- Product Format:
- MP3 Audio
- File URL: