Christ is the greatest preacher of all time; as He is the Eternal High Priest, so He is the Eternal Preacher of His own Gospel. And the greatest sermon He ever spoke was only seven short phrases, uttered from the pulpit of the Cross, as He hung dying the most agonizing Death in the history of the world.
In The Seven Last Words of Christ on the Cross, Fr. Christopher Rengers, O.F.M.Cap., dissects the extraordinary wisdom that only the God-Man Himself could imbue in each of these words, parting instructions for His Church to be founded:
- "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do." Luke 23:34
- "Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise." Luke 23:43
- "Woman, here is your son . . . Here is your mother." John 19:26-27
- "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Matthew 27:46
- "I thirst." John 19:28
- "It is finished." John 19:30
- "Father, into your hands I commend my spirit." Luke 23:46
Within this seven-sentence sermon, Our Lord has given us a pattern for our entire lives, united with Him in His Eternal Sacrifice of the Cross for us. Here are seven pieces of advice inconceivable not to heed—since they come from the Founder of preaching Himself. Let Fr. Rengers guide you through the Seven Last Words of Christ on the Cross, and come to glimpse fathomless wisdom of God.
- Fr. Christopher Rengers OFMCap
- TAN Books
- Publication Date:
- Product Format: